Friday, July 30, 2010

Dancing On Ice : A Stirring Tale of Adventure, Risk And Reckless Folly
by Jeremy Scott

There have been a whole slew of books written about polar exploration and most of them I have found to be quite compelling and well written. I thought I had found another winner. Not so.
Dancing On Ice is a tale about fourteen young men (all in their twenties) who go to the Arctic in order to find a better air route between Europe and America. They are led by Gino Watkins known for his climbing, shooting, hunting, and kayaking skills.
The story takes place in 1930 and these Brits really only know how to party, drink and dance the nights away. Their whole reason for going in the first place was to have a bit of fun. Most of them really had no idea of what they wanted to do with their lives and this trip sounded intriguing.
I stopped reading the book after sixty-three pages. It started out being interesting and then it just got dry. The editing is very, very sloppy. The same set of mistakes is repeated over and over again.
There are photographs that I believe the author lifted from another book on the Arctic, because I have seen them, many times, before.
There haven't been any professional reviews done and now I know why.
Forget about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment