Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Babel No More : The Search For The World's Most Extraordinary Language Learners
by Michael Erard

Author, Michael Erard, has a quest to find people who speak multiple languages and coins a new word "hyperpolyglot." He starts off with an Italian cardinal Giuseppe Mezzofanti (from the nineteenth-century) who supposedly was able to speak seventy-two languages. Some linguists, though, think that Mezzofanti was a myth and could only really speak a few languages. Erard sends out a massive e-mail looking for present-day hyperpolyglots and many write back.
I was really looking forward to reading this book but got three-quarters of the way through it and stopped. Some parts of it are really interesting but most of it is boring. His style of writing is plodding and I can't see too many people wanting or having an interest in what he wrote.
I am a language nut myself (I was a triple language major in college: German, French, Spanish) so I thought this book would be right up my alley. No such luck. It was a big disappointment.
Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment