Saturday, October 29, 2011

Sybil Exposed : The Extraordinary Story Behind The Famous Multiple Personality Case
by Debbie Nathan

I remember being caught up in the "Sybil" craze back in the 1970s. She was the woman who supposedly had sixteen different personalities and because of that a new diagnosis was coined in the psychiatry field. The book was a huge success which then spawned a movie. But was it really true? You don't have to read all of Sybil Exposed (and believe me, I didn't) to find that out. The Introduction reveals the duplicity of three women. I probably should have stopped right then and there but I persisted in continuing until I reached Chapter 4 which was about Dr. Wilbur, the psychiatrist that treated "Sybil."
Psychiatry in the 1930s was absolutely horrendous with its unsuspecting patients. Pentothal ( a barbiturate known as "truth serum"), Metrozol (shock therapy that caused broken limbs), lobotomies, and other horrible "treatments" were all being used by psychiatrists because they thought they could cure their patients better. I found reading all of this to be too disturbing and quite brutal.
The writing style is juvenile and repetitive. Don't believe the positive reviews. Read the negative ones.
Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment