Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Turn Right At Machu Picchu : Rediscovering The Lost City One Step At A Time
by Mark Adams

I should be congratulated for finishing this book (last night I considered stopping with forty more pages to go). But, no, I slogged through it all.
The premise is that Mark Adams, who has spent his career editing travel and adventure magazines, decides to follow the path of explorer Hiram Bingham III by going to Peru and retracing his path to Machu Picchu.
I didn't find the tale to be compelling, exciting, superb, amazing, entertaining as other reviewers apparently did. For me, there were too many details that were confusing especially with all of the different similiar-sounding names of cities.
Everything became tedious and downright boring.
Adams wrote a book called
Mr. America in 2010 (reviewed in my book-a-holics blog) and that was superb. Too bad that he couldn't sustain that great writing with Machu Picchu.
Not recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment