Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mother Country : Memoir Of An Adopted Boy
by Jeremy Harding

Good thing this book was slim (189 pages) because it saved me from having to read it all. The reviewers are out of their minds. "Beautifully written, captivating, the most brilliant British memoir published in years." I guess if you're from England, then maybe it is.
Harding learned that he was adopted at the age of five. As an adult, he decides to investigate and try to find out who his natural mother was. It's easier to seek this information out in Britain as opposed to the United States. (Adoption records are sealed in America, but not so in England.)
I didn't get too far. The book plods along and is not very exciting. I was irritated at the tight binding of the paperback. You had to pull the page all the way back to read the text on the left-hand side. After a while, I could no longer stand doing that and closed up the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment